unforgeable optical tokens?

David Wagner daw at mozart.cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 20 20:11:17 EDT 2002

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>But if you can't simulate the system, that implies that the challenger
>has to have stored the challenge-response pairs because he can't just
>generate them, right? That means that only finitely many are likely to
>be stored. Or was this thought of too?

I believe the idea is that there are gazillions of possible challenges.
The challenger picks a thousand randomly in advance, scans the token
from the corresponding thousand different angles to get the thousand
one of his stored challenges, pass it to a remote entity, and demand
the correct answer.  Of course, a challenger must never re-use the same
challenge twice.

I find the physical token a poor replacement for cryptography, when the
goal is challenge-response authentication over a network.  In practice,
you never really want just challenge-response authentication; you
want to set up a secure, authenticated channel to the other party,
which means you probably also need key distribution functionality.
The physical token suggested here doesn't help with that at all.

It seems to me the real value of the physical token is that it provides a
piece of hardware that is (hopefully) very expensive to clone.  That's an
interesting capability to have in your bag of tricks.