Cryptogram: Palladium Only for DRM

Peter PeterNBiddle at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 18 13:34:23 EDT 2002

> (And before you mention the current worm infecting Linux apache sites,
> that's also caused by bad design, not an problem that requires
> hardware to fix.)

and

> In any case, all of this is silly. Palladium is no more likely to be
> bugless than the OS. If you break it, why is that less damaging than
> breaking the OS?

Bruce Schneier has a great take on this - secure systems should fail well.
Pd is designed to fail well - failures in SW design shouldn't result in
compromised secrets, and compromised secrets shouldn't result in a BORE
attack. I've talked about the processes we are using to make sure that this
is true but for a start we are gen'ing headers from formal specs. The specs
are reviewed for architecture and security before spec changes are approved,
and only then can you get a new header. We are doing a formal proof on parts
of the design (those upon which the security model depends). This process
should keep the bugs we do get from jeopardizing the security model.