[Discuss-gnuradio] SDR Forum Report on Security

Nick Waterman laptop at noseynick.com
Sat Sep 14 10:04:43 EDT 2002

John Gilmore wrote:
[snip]
> would look for 802.11 local connectivity, or Metricom wide-area
> connectivity, or its own networking protocol if any similar station
> was in range, or failing that, would be able to use a terrible and
> expensive cellular data or voice network.  All of this would be
> transparent to the user.  None of the vendors who authored this report
> would ever build such a device, because the majority of the time it
> would not force users to pay them by the minute.  And user or
> competitor attempts to reprogram existing devices to do this, or any
> part of it, would be warded off as "attacks" by "malicious hackers".

I don't believe I'd be revealing anything top-secret if I were to tell
you that a certain "BB" company, famous for their 2-way-pager email
gadgets and now email-and-voice GPRS/GSM gadgets, is considering 802.11,
voice-over-IP, and all other kinds of integration. The idea would be
that your office email is already delivered straight to your hip in
seconds, but how about your office voice calls, easy integration with
your office voicemail, and voice-over-IP so you could answer your office
desk phone from another part of the building over an 802.11 vlan or similar?

I think you're being a little TOO cynical. If the customers want it
enough, someone will make it. I've often heard the phrase "If you can
sell 10,000 of them, we'll make it" around the office. The cellphone
carriers don't make ALL the decisions, you know   :-)

--
"Nosey" Nick Waterman, Senior Sysadmin.  #include <stddisclaimer>
sig at noseynick.net  http://noseynick.net/