Constructing "capability" URLs

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at netmemetic.com
Wed Sep 4 01:53:49 EDT 2002

(Pardon the crossposting.)

Hi,

I'm building a web app which, rather typically of web apps, constructs
URLs on the fly.

A URL concocted by my app looks like this:

  https://whatever/object?action=something&expiry=timeval&cap=XXYYZZ

The "cap" at the end is supposed to be a capability. ;-)

One of my major objectives in this particular development effort is to
make it easy to automate the blackbox testing of my app. I imagine
URLs such as the above make it so: I can have code that invokes the
above URL without regard to the rest of the system.

(Does this make my app buzzword-compliant with REST, too? ;-)

I'm creating the capability thusly:

  cap = hmac-sha1(key, "/object?action=something&expiry=timeval")

My questions:

1. Is the construction of the "cap" string ok? Should I stir other
info in? (The expiry timeval provides the temporal information.)

2. The key is created from /dev/random. How long should it be? In my
threat model, the key changes every few hours.

3. Any other thoughts?

TIA. Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com> * http://www.netmemetic.com