more snake oil? [WAS: New uncrackable(?) encryption technique]

Nicko van Someren nicko at ncipher.com
Fri Oct 25 11:42:28 EDT 2002

I appreciate that as cryptographers we should be rightly skeptical of
anyone claiming to have a new, unbreakable encryption scheme.

That said, given the tone of the message from Multiplex Photonics
perhaps launching attacks on, or laughing at, those who are ill
informed about cryptography is not the best use of our energies.  If
this system is so eminently breakable then surely we should be applying
our skills to solve what scientists in another field currently believe
to be a hard problem, thereby advancing the sum of human knowledge,
rather than just sitting around sniggering at them.

	Nicko