Why is RMAC resistant to birthday attacks?

Ed Gerck egerck at nma.com
Tue Oct 22 13:29:49 EDT 2002

Short answer:  Because the MAC tag is doubled in size.

Longer answer: The “birthday paradox” says that if the MAC tag has t bits,
only 2^(t/2) queries to the MAC oracle are likely  needed in order to discover
two messages with the same tag, i.e., a “collision,” from which forgeries
could easily be constructed. In RMAC, t is increased to 2t, so that
2^(2t/2) = 2^t and there is no reduction in the number of queries due to the
"birthday paradox". For example, for a MAC tag with 128-bit keys, the number
of queries that bound the chance of a forgery is still close to 128 bits. The
penalty is doubling the size of the MAC tag.

BTW, for MAC systems where collisions are prevented a priori, the
"birthday paradox" does not apply.

Cheers,
Ed Gerck