Microsoft marries RSA Security to Windows

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Fri Oct 11 10:33:23 EDT 2002

I can see a number of problems with using mobile phones as a second
channel for authentication:

1. It begs the question of tamper resistant hardware. Unless the
phone contains a tamper resistant serial number or key, it is
relatively easy to clone. And cell phones are merging with PDAs. If
you have secure storage, why not implement a local solution on the
PDA side?

2. Even if the phone is tamperproof, SMS messages can be intercepted.
I can imagine a man-in-the-middle attack where the attacker cuts the
user off after getting the SMS message, before the user has a chance
to enter their code.

3. Cell phones don't work everywhere. Geographic coverage is limited.
Most U.S. phones don't work overseas. Reception can fail inside
buildings and cell phone use is prohibited on commercial airplanes
in-flight (the airlines are planning to offer Internet access in the
near future). And what happens if I choose to TEMPEST shield my
facility?

4. The cell phone network can get clogged in times of high stress,
e.g. a snow storm at rush hour, a natural disaster or a terrorist
incident. Presumably some people who use two factor authentication
have important work to do. Do you want them to be locked out of their
computers at such critical times?

5. Cell phones are vulnerable to denial of service attacks. A simple
RF jammer could prevent an individual or an entire building from
accessing their computers.

6. People are generally cavalier about their cell phones. They wear
them on belt pouches, leave them in cars and gym lockers, let
strangers borrow them. I left mine in a coat pocket that I checked at
a restaurant and ended up with a $40 long distance bill. Habits like
that are hard to change. On the other hand, a token that goes on a
key chain or is worn as jewelry taps into more security conscious
cultural behavior.  Human factors are usually the weak link in
security, so such considerations are important.

7. It's a tax on logins. SMS messages aren't free.

8. If I lose my token, I can use my cell phone to report it promptly.
If I lose my cell phone...

9. Improved technology should make authentication tokens even more
attractive. For one thing they can be made very small and waterproof.
Connection modes like USB and Bluetooth can eliminate the need to
type in a code, or allow the PIN to be entered directly into the
token (my preference).

10. There is room for more innovative tokens. Imagine a finger ring
that detects body heat and pulse and  knows if it has removed. It
could then refuse to work, emit a distress code when next used or
simply require an additional authentication step to be reactivated.
Even implants are feasible.

Arnold Reinhold