Microsoft marries RSA Security to Windows

Joseph Ashwood ashwood at msn.com
Wed Oct 9 17:59:36 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roy M.Silvernail" <roy at scytale.com>
> And here, I thought that a portion of the security embodied in a SecurID
> token was the fact that it was a tamper-resistant, independent piece of
> hardware.  Now M$ wants to put the PRNG out in plain view, along with its
> seed value. This cherry is just begging to be picked by some blackhat,
> probably exploiting a hole in Pocket Outlook.

Unfortunately, SecurID hasn't been that way for a while. RSA has offered
executables for various operating systems for some time now. I agree it
destroys what there was of the security, and reduces it to basically the
level of username/password, albeit at a more expensive price. But I'm sure
it was a move to improve their bottom line.
                    Joe