What email encryption is actually in use?

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Wed Oct 2 21:50:22 EDT 2002

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> The primary use of STARTTLS for SMTP is for mail *submission*, not
> relaying.  That is, when clients (like Eudora) generate mail, they
> submit it to an ISP or organizational SMTP server.  If this server is
> accessible from the Internet, it should require some sort of
> authentication, to avoid becoming an open spam relay.  This is
> sometimes done by a password over a TLS-protected session.
>
> In other words, this isn't opportunistic encryption, and doesn't run
> into the problem of "random smtp server has a self-signed cert".  The
> client should be configured to know what cert to expect.

Steven raises an interesting point. Having looked at various STARTTLS
implementations it appears to me that if not the designers of STARTTLS
then at least the authors of STARTTLS-enabled MTAs appeared to have
envisioned the use of STARTTLS primarily to secure and authenticate
email submission, not MTA-to-MTA SMTP transfer.

STARTTLS's ability to encrypt authentication information, in practice
primarily SASL, during mail submission from the MUA to the MTA is
certainly welcome; I myself am making extensive use of it in my SMTP
infrastructure.

Mail submission does however not represent the bulk of
STARTTLS-encrypted SMTP traffic on the Internet today. A brief
unscientific look at some maillogs that I performed a few months ago
showed that MTA-to-MTA (for the MTA's in question this equates
site-to-site SMTP traffic) use of STARTTLS is a resounding 3 orders of
magnitude more common than the use of STARTTLS to secure and
authenticate submission from MUAs.

Here is why: once STARTTLS-enabled MTAs reached a certain density, which
appears to have been exceeded on parts of the Internet sometime over the
last year, the ability to support STARTTLS triggers the well-known "fax
effect": the moment you enable STARTTLS in your MTA, connections to
other MTAs will automatically be secured, at worst with opportunistic
encryption. With each MTA supporting STARTTLS added to the Net the
percentage of encrypted SMTP connections increases as the use of
STARTTLS takes place without even the knowledge, much less the elusive
active cooperation, of dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of users per
MTA.

I boldly submit that more email is presently being encrypted on the
Internet every single day using STARTTLS than has ever been secured
using PGP, S/MIME, or other MUA-based encryption methods combined over
the entire history of SMTP.

Case in point: I am one of the heaviest users of PGP that I am aware of.
In addition, I have used PGP for longer than most, going back to my days
as an alpha tester of PGP 2.0. I have used and continue to use S/MIME
extensively. Nonetheless, my primary MTA processes more TLS encrypted
email in under a week than I have ever encrypted using MUA-based systems
in my entire life.

Perhaps a student with access to the logs of a large STARTTLS-capable
university MTA will write a paper containing a quantitative analysis of
today's use of STARTTLS. There is definitely a paper waiting in
analyzing this phenomenon.

It is my hope that the authors of MTAs will integrate the lessons
learned from the de-facto use of STARTTLS to enable additional desirable
STARTTLS-based feature in future releases of their software.

--Lucky Green