Real-world steganography

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Tue Oct 1 00:38:53 EDT 2002

Peter Gutmann wrote:

> I recently came across a real-world use of steganography which hides extra
> data in the LSB of CD audio tracks to allow (according to the vendor) the
> equivalent of 20-bit samples instead of 16-bit and assorted other features.

I don't think that's really 'steganography' per se, since no attempt is
made to hide the fact that the information is in there. The quasi-stego
used is just to prevent bad audio artifacts from happening.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes