Did you *really* zeroize that key?

David Honig dahonig at cox.net
Thu Nov 7 13:13:52 EST 2002

At 03:55 PM 11/7/02 +0100, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>Regardless of whether one uses "volatile" or a pragma, the basic point
>remains:  cryptographic application writers have to be aware of what a
>clever compiler can do, so that they know to take countermeasures.

Wouldn't a crypto coder be using paranoid-programming
skills, like *checking* that the memory is actually zeroed?
(Ie, read it back..)  I suppose that caching could still
deceive you though?

I've read about some Olde Time programmers
who, given flaky hardware (or maybe software),
would do this in non-crypto but very important apps.