ciphersaber-2 human memorable test vectors

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Fri Mar 29 18:02:44 EST 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:49:30PM -0800, Bill Frantz wrote:
> At 10:15 AM -0800 3/26/02, Adam Back wrote:
> >In general purely human readable test vectors are not ideal as they
> >are 7 bit, and there have been cases where implementation errors or
> >related to the 7th bit (for example one blowfish implementation had
> >problems with signd / unsigned chars), but it is kind of an
> >interesting though experiment.
>
> If this issue seems to be a problem for a particular cypher, there are a
> couple of ways to try to solve it:
>
> * Compress out the eighth bit (requiring 10 characters for a 64 bit block
> cypher instead of 8).

That would work.

> * Remember a pattern of high order bits.  Something like 11110000 would be
> relatively easy to remember, and would help mitigate signed vs. unsigned
> number problems on 32 bit machines.

No guarantees about what the rest of the test vector would look like
if you choose an easily rememberable high order bit set as the key
(which was where the blowfish problem arose if I recall).  Or perhaps
you were suggesting ORing them into the otherwise 7 bit test vector
and having the additional constraint that the other outputs had the
same or equally memorable high bit pattern.  That would be plausible.

Any takers on ciphersaber-2 test vectors which are also topical and
amusing english phrases?

Adam