1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise

A. Melon juicy at melontraffickers.com
Mon Mar 25 01:10:04 EST 2002

Please note the following follow-up message on cypherpunks from
Ian Goldberg:

From: iang at abraham.cs.berkeley.edu (Ian Goldberg)
Subject: CDR: Re: 1024-bit RSA keys in danger of compromise
Date: 24 Mar 2002 18:08:32 GMT

In article <00e101c1d2d8$c9768080$c33a080a at LUCKYVAIO>,
Lucky Green <shamrock at cypherpunks.to> wrote:
>The panel, consisting of Ian Goldberg and Nicko van Someren, put forth
>the following rough first estimates:

I'd just like to credit the "O(minutes)" calculation to Nicko;
my own opinion was that:

- We have no reason to believe the asymptotic result applies to "real"
  keylengths (2^1024 <<< infinity)
- The physical properties of such a machine (size, power, cooling, etc.)
  seem implausible to me.

I personally don't intend to be revoking my 1024 bit key at this time.

   - Ian