Math and crypto videos available at msri.org

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Mar 24 08:37:05 EST 2002

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:27:03 -0800
Subject: Math and crypto videos available at msri.org
From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
To: cypherpunks at lne.com
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at lne.com

I've been enjoying the streaming video lectures available at
www.msri.org.

MSRI is the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute, which sits on a
hill above UC Berkeley. MSRI is funded by NSF and other donors and has
no apparent formal connection with UCB (that I can find).

The streaming videos need RealPlayer, but a free version is readily
available. The quality is only mediocre...the mathematicians are still
using overhead transparencies with scrawled writing, and this doesn't
pick up and show well, at least on my own RealPlayer setup. And I get
the usual jerky video from my slow dial-up line, but at least the audio
track is excellent.

I haven't looked at the crypto lectures yet. Dan Bernstein has several
of them, including on fast multiplication hardware for crypto. And the
usual other mathematicians who do crypto are represented.

(BTW, having such videos--hopefully with better quality than overhead
projectors--might be an interesting option for the "Crypto for T.C.
Mits" project some of you have been talking about. )

--Tim May
"The great object is that every man be armed and everyone who is able
may have a gun." --Patrick Henry
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be
properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA