RSA on general-purpose CPU's [was:RE: Secure peripheral cards]

Eric Young eay at pobox.com
Sat Mar 23 20:00:12 EST 2002

>Adam Back wrote:
>
>>openSSL on a PIII-633Mhz can do 265 512 bit CRT RSA per
>>second, or 50 1024 bit CRT RSA per second.  So wether it will
>>even speed up current entry-level systems depends on the
>>correct interpretation of the product sheet.

I don't know what the OpenSSL people did to the x86 ASM code, but SSLeay
 (the precursor to OpenSSL, over 3 years old)  did/does 330 512bit and
55 1024 bit
RSAs a second on a 333mhz celeron (linux and/or win32).  You should be
seeing
numbers like 600 and 100. The company I work for has 70 1024's per second
on the celeron 333.  It used to build this way (and with this
performance) for
most x86 boxes.....

eric

PS    The SSLeay version I tested was '0.9.1a 06-Jul-1998', which is
what is in
    \bin on my laptop.