Secure peripheral cards

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Mar 21 10:02:20 EST 2002

At 7:21 PM -0500 on 3/20/02, Roop Mukherjee wrote:

> I am searching for some citable references about secure peripheral cards.
> Contrary to what I had imagined when I had started searching, I found very
> little. I am looking to see what are the peripherals that have
> cryptographic capabilities and what are thier capabilities?
>
> The Embassy (www.wave.com) thing seems like a single secure system in
> itself, which can run programs and do everything from secure boot to
> secure IO. So I imagine that all of this stuff will not be put in the
> peripherals. Also in the same vein US patent 6,314,409 talk of a secure
> system but in more abstract terms.
>
> Intel's audio players and sigmatels auddio _decoders_ (can be a
> comeplte device or a peripheral according to the brochure) seems to calim
> Microsoft's DRM compatibility.
>
> I would appreciate some better references.

I think you should talk to NCipher about this stuff.

As far as I can tell, Nicko's hardware development people have the best
handle on secure boxes to store keys in, cryptographic accelerator
peripherals, and so on.

They're very smart, very creative, and have a giant-killer attitude, which
is handy in a market dominated by very big companies who mostly do other
things besides crypto for a living.

No financial interest in NCipher, I've always been impressed with Nicko van
Someren, Ian Harvey, and their associates.

<http://www.ncipher.com/>

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA