Secure peripheral cards

Roop Mukherjee bmukherj at shoshin.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Mar 20 19:21:14 EST 2002

I am searching for some citable references about secure peripheral cards.
Contrary to what I had imagined when I had started searching, I found very
little. I am looking to see what are the peripherals that have
cryptographic capabilities and what are thier capabilities?

The Embassy (www.wave.com) thing seems like a single secure system in
itself, which can run programs and do everything from secure boot to
secure IO. So I imagine that all of this stuff will not be put in the
peripherals. Also in the same vein US patent 6,314,409 talk of a secure
system but in more abstract terms.

Intel's audio players and sigmatels auddio _decoders_ (can be a
comeplte device or a peripheral according to the brochure) seems to calim
Microsoft's DRM compatibility.

I would appreciate some better references.

Thanks,
-- Roop