Steven Levy buys Microsoft's bullshit hook, line, and sinker

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 25 00:56:21 EDT 2002

"Jay D. Dyson" <jdyson at treachery.net> writes:
>On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Bram Cohen wrote:
>>Of course, the TCPA has nothing to do with security or privacy, since
>>those are OS-level things. All it can really do is ensure you're running
>>a particular OS.
>>
>>It's amazing the TCPA isn't raising all kinds of red flags at the
>>justice department already - it's the most flagrant attempt to stifle
>>competition I've ever seen.
>
>It's even more amazing that those who care about security at all aren't nearly
>as up in arms about this matter.  The very idea that the one company with the
>longest history of producing the most pernicious security problems in the
>digital world is being suddenly embraced as that very world's savior.

I think a major contributing factor is TCPA's history.  It's the product of a
bunch of failed security initiatives by a collection of hardware vendors,
dating back to HP's ICF from 1996 (can anyone else even remember what ICF was,
without looking it up)?  Then there's CDSA, and IBM's experiement with smart
cards embedded in motherboards... a ton of vendors with completely different
objectives and a pile of leftover projects which failed to take off when they
weren't called TCPA yet.  Is it even worth wasting cycles on speculating where
TCPA will end up?

Peter.