Ross's TCPA paper

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Sun Jun 23 19:34:58 EDT 2002

Anonymous writes:
> Lucky Green writes regarding Ross Anderson's paper at:
> Ross and Lucky should justify their claims to the community
> in general and to the members of the TCPA in particular.  If
> you're going to make accusations, you are obliged to offer
> evidence.  Is the TCPA really, as they claim, a secretive
> effort to get DRM hardware into consumer PCs? Or is it, as
> the documents on the web site claim, a general effort to
> improve the security in systems and to provide new
> capabilities for improving the trustworthiness of computing platforms?

Anonymous raises a valid question. To hand Anonymous additional rope, I
will even assure the reader that when questioned directly, the members
of the TCPA will insist that their efforts in the context of TCPA are
concerned with increasing platform security in general and are not
targeted at providing a DRM solution.

Unfortunately, and I apologize for having to disappoint the reader, I do
not feel at liberty to provide the proof Anonymous is requesting myself,
though perhaps Ross might. (I have no first-hand knowledge of what Ross
may or may not be able to provide).

I however encourage readers familiar with the state of the art in PC
platform security to read the TCPA specifications, read the TCPA's
membership list, read the Hollings bill, and then ask themselves if they
are aware of, or can locate somebody who is aware of, any other
technical solution that enjoys a similar level of PC platform industry
support, is anywhere as near to wide-spread production as TPM's, and is
of sufficient integration into the platform to be able to form the
platform basis for meeting the requirements of the Hollings bill.

Would Anonymous perhaps like to take this question?

--Lucky Green