DOJ proposes US data-rentention law.

geer at world.std.com geer at world.std.com
Sat Jun 22 17:37:05 EDT 2002

Steve,

Not arguing, but the hardware cost curve for storage has a shorter
halving time than the cost curve for CPU (Moore's Law) and the
corresponding halving time for bandwidth is shorter still.
If that relationship holds up over a period of years, today's
tradeoffs between cache, re-computation, and anticipatory
transmission would presumably change in the direction the
economics dictates.

And of course, if I really care that a particular piece of data
is non-discoverable I either have to encrypt it, never transmit
it, or go on one whopping search mission.

Or so I think.  Does the world look different from your vantage?

--dan