Followup: [RE: DOJ proposes US data-rentention law.]

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri Jun 21 09:53:29 EDT 2002

Two points:

1. According to Poulson, the DOJ proposal never
discussed just what would be logged. Poulson
compared it to the European Big Brother legislation,
which required storage to Web browsing
histories and email header data.

2. After I posted the same info to /.
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/19/1724216.shtml?tid=103
(I'm the 'Anonymous Coward' in this case), Kevin updated
his article. The new version may be found at:
http://online.securityfocus.com/news/489

The relevant portions read:

- start quote -

U.S. Denies Data Retention Plans

The Justice Department disputes claims that Internet service
providers could be forced to spy on their customers as part
of the U.S. strategy for securing cyberspace.
By Kevin Poulsen, Jun 19 2002 12:24PM

[...]

But a Justice Department source said Wednesday that data
retention is mentioned in the strategy only as an industry
concern -- ISPs and telecom companies oppose the costly idea --
and does not reflect any plan by the department or the White
House to push for a U.S. law.

[...]

- end quote -

Peter Trei