Declan goes to CNET

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Fri Jun 14 19:50:30 EDT 2002

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:16:34 +0100
To: usual at espace.net
From: Fearghas McKay <fm at st-kilda.org>
Subject: Fwd: FC: I've left Wired News and have a new job
Sender: <usual at espace.net>

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:07:55 -0700
To: politech at politechbot.com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
Subject: FC: I've left Wired News and have a new job
Sender: owner-politech at politechbot.com

I've left Wired News and have taken a new job as CNET News.com's chief
political correspondent. I'll be working in Washington DC and writing about
the same topics I did for Wired -- the ever-growing intersection of
technology, law, and politics. You can find my articles at news.com.

My agreement with CNET allows me to continue running Politech.

I've spent four years at Wired News (and also worked at HotWired/Wired
magazine six years ago), and have tremendous respect and affection for my
colleagues who turned wired.com into one of the most interesting news
sources anywhere.

But CNET offered me additional opportunities, and I'm looking forward to
working with the excellent writers and editors at News.com. Besides our own
network, News.com articles also appear on the New York Times, MSNBC, and
Yahoo News sites. We have an agreement with the Boston Globe and San
Francisco Chronicle to run our articles on their websites and in print --
all of which means you'll be able to find my articles in more places than
before.

It looks like I'll be on CNET Radio with Brian Cooley
(http://www.cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152-7-7149065.html) most days around
9:40 am ET. It's available on 910AM in San Francisco, 890AM in Boston, XM
channel 130, and of course via the Internet.

My new phone numbers are:
   (202) 299-1013 (office in DC)
   (415) 344-2285 (office in SF, when I'm in town)

My IM addresses:
   declanindc (Yahoo)
   declanindc (AOL)

-Declan

PS: An excerpt from my farewell column is below (scroll down)...

>    I owe my editors a considerable debt for their good humor and
>    commitment to solid journalism. I owe my readers an equal debt for
>    their commitment to keeping journalists in line: It's humbling to know
>    that readers often know far more about a subject than the writer.
>    I'm grateful to my fellow reporters at Wired News for the chance to
>    work with them in chronicling the evolution of technology, society and
>    politics. Keep up the fierce, intrepid reporting!

--- end forwarded text

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA