building a true RNG

Barney Wolff barney at tp.databus.com
Mon Jul 29 12:08:11 EDT 2002

Yes, but is there any lower bound known?  2^(N-1)?  Or worse?
Clearly a hash with N-bit output that can't generate all 2^N
values can never actually have N bits of entropy.  Depending on how
many forbidden values there are, this may or may not be significant.
Of course if the forbidden values cannot be found, I'd agree with
the "as good as".

--
Barney Wolff
I never met a computer I didn't like.