building a true RNG

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Sat Jul 27 19:18:23 EDT 2002

On 2002-07-27, David Wagner uttered to cryptography at wasabisystems.com:

>In particular, there is no function f which doesn't waste entropy,
>unless |Y|=1.  The proof is simple enough that you can probably find it
>with a moment's contemplation, but let me know if you want to see it.

I would be lead to pigeonhole; still, this does seem like an eminently
teachable moment to me.

However, what we're working with in the case of a typical RNG isn't
functions between finite buffer-fulls of data, but functions between
infinite sets of entire bitstreams which need to be implemented within a
finite memory constraint. Whatever the algorithm, it can have state. I'm
thinking that is the reasoning which leads people to think that the
problem is simple. In this framework one can very well gather statistics
and try and normalize them based on what one's seen so far. (The
minimalist example here is bias removal.)  After that, what goes into the
hash is (approximately) white and even with minimal assumptions (i.e. the
hash is a one-way permutation) our RNG would seem to approach ideality.

True, such an approach will always become a race in modelling the
statistics. But still, I would think the generator has the advantage if
sufficient margin is left for error. (That is, hash some constant times
the number of bits containing the entropy you suspect to be there, based
on the best model you've got.)
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy at iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111