building a true RNG

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 24 13:17:12 EDT 2002

On 24 Jul 2002, Paul Crowley wrote:

> I can't believe any compression software could be as fast as just
> feeding the signal straight into SHA-1.

I haven't tried this, but assuming I'm digitizing dark video and only get
noise in the lower significant bits I can just mask out the constant
(zero) ones and paste them together to destill the entropy with a very low
computational cost before feeding it into a cryptohash.

As an aside to what constitutes physical entropy of a system it is indeed
depending on context of the measurement. A good source of information on
entropy in all contexts is

	http://www.math.psu.edu/gunesch/entropy.html