building a true RNG (was: Quantum Computing ...)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jul 23 02:39:24 EDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, David Honig wrote:

> Yes, it is a joke.  However, it is also a viable if low-bandwidth
> entropy source.  I disagree that you need to be able to model

I've got a framegrabber with a 640x480 24 bit/pixel camera. It doesn't
compress, is rather noisy, and since self-adjusting I get the maximum
entropy at maximum darkness.

Is there any point in compressing the video before running it through a
cryptohash? How does e.g. SHA-1 fare with very sparse bitvectors?