It's Time to Abandon Insecure Languages

John S. Denker jsd at monmouth.com
Mon Jul 22 11:59:00 EDT 2002

Victor.Duchovni at morganstanley.com wrote:

> Most security bugs reported these days are issues
> with application semantics (auth bypass, SQL injection, cross-site
> scripting, information disclosure, mobile code execution, ...), not buffer
> overflows.

Really?  What's the evidence for that?
What definition of "most" are we using?
One out of 20 doesn't count as "most" in my book.

When I look at the reports for 2002 year-to-date, at
http://www.cert.org/advisories/ there are 20 advisories.
Depending on how you count multi-bug reports, it appears that
19 out of 20 involve buffer overflows and related issues --
things that could easily be prevented by using a language that
has a built-in string type and automatic object management.
Exotic languages are not required;  C++ would make a huge
impact.  And of course in any language a modicum of skill and
care is required;  it's hard to make a language foolproof
because fools are so ingenious.

My evidence:  http://www.cert.org/advisories/

20- multiple, including writing out-of-bounds
19  buffer overflow
18  multiple, including buffer overflow
17  stack overflow
16  multiple, including stack overflow