It's Time to Abandon Insecure Languages

John Brothers johnbr at undefined.com
Sat Jul 20 06:26:52 EDT 2002

I disagree in one  area.  I have found that Java is sufficiently
flexible to handle 99 - 100% of the server code for a data
processing server.  As long as its not doing kernel/OS level functionality,
it works great, it has fewer bugs, and, for the most part, is competently
powerful in performance.

Examining my init directory - sendmail, smtp, sshd (maybe), Apache,
squid, etc, all could have been written in Java w/out pain.  Streaming
media servers, Web services engines, etc are all candidates for java -
unless they have to do heavy manipulation of devices, proc tables, etc.

Obviously, that isn't everything.  And I cringe in horror at the idea of
having
to rewrite (for example) iptables or autofs or postgresql or even X in Java.

But that isn't where the problems were found.  They were found in more or
less generalized data processors - httpd and sshd.

---

Obvious note - you were talking more about client-side stuff.  I can't stand
using
Java for client-side work.  But I don't think that is where the
vulnerabilities are
found and exploited.