Maybe no stego on eBay afterall

bear bear at sonic.net
Fri Jul 19 23:58:56 EDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Jim Gillogly wrote:

>I doubt that the reported eBay sightings were of this scientifically
>undeniable sort: if it was more than somebody pulling statistics
>out of their -- umm -- noses, it was more likely somebody noting that
>the stegdetect program reported "jphide(**)" or some such thing on some
>subset of the pictures.

And then again, there's the undeniable impulse, when you read about
someone hunting stegotexts on ebay, to go and post one there just to
give him something to worry about.  I have to wonder whether one or more
punks somewhere are having a guffaw over this establishment type having
gotten taken in by the stegotext they posted.

Wanna bet that, if decrypted, it just contains a small drawing of the
author flipping off the researcher, or something equally stupid?

Bear