It's Time to Abandon Insecure Languages

Jay D. Dyson jdyson at treachery.net
Thu Jul 18 16:55:07 EDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, bear wrote:

> > If you want totally type safe languages that use ahead of time
> > compilation, look at Eiffel, Sather, the Bigloo Scheme compiler, and
> > so on.  Also don't forget gcj, which does ahead of time compilation
> > for Java with the same type checking that you get in the "managed
> > environment".
>
> Agreed.  And I particularly like Scheme.  However, it's also not hard to
> compile your C code with bounds checking turned on if you're willing to
> sacrifice maybe a few things you shouldn't be using anyay, so it's
> pretty inexcusable IMO to still be having buffer overflows.

	Let us not forget Ada.  My wife's been coding in it for years now
and, while I haven't played with the language apart from poring through
her code on occasion, the language strikes me as remarkably more secure
than C/C++.  (Now before anyone who's seen Ada jumps all over my case,
please bear in mind that Ada has evolved quite a bit over the past years!)

	I submit the following URLs for consideration:

	http://www.beesknees.freeserve.co.uk/articles/ada-vs-cpp.html

	http://ftp.stsc.hill.af.mil/crosstalk/1996/jul/quantify.asp

-Jay

  ))   ))   .--"There's always time for a good cup of coffee"--.   >====<--.