Quantum Computing Puts Encrypted Messages at Risk

Ian Hill Ian at Protonic.com
Fri Jul 12 12:21:18 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 07:50:30PM +0100, Ian Hill wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:20:37PM -0400, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> > Given that quantum computers will provide an enormous power boost,
> > encryption experts believe that current standards for encryption,
> > which are based on computational difficulty, will then fall.  In the
> > world of quantum computing and encryption, the question of which will
> > come first, quantum computing or quantum encryption, is very
> > important.
> > In fact, it is vital.
> >
> >  [...]
>
> I don't know enough about quantum computation to comment on this first
> section. There are numerous comments that seem wrong to my
> understanding, but I shan't make a fuss.
>
> [Blah Blah Blah]
>
> --
> Ian Hill
> Ian at Protonic.com
>
> Unprovided with original learning, unformed in the habits of thinking,
> unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved to write a book.
> 		-- Edward Gibbon

It has been politely pointed out to me that I overstepped my intentions
with this post. Perhaps you will allow me to clarify myself before the
flames begin :-)

>From my reply to Matthew Byng-Maddick:

I can't honestly say I follow the theory to its roots, but from what I
do understand, QKD is 100% secure now (if it is implemented correctly).
Provided that our current thoughts on Quantum Mechanics remain accurate,
then I appreciate this system will be secure.

I appreciate also that this is not like standard cryptanalysis, where
you can just take a copy of the ciphertext and keep bashing at it with a
range of techniques. In this respect this is a whole different scenario
to cracking more standard crypto systems. The point I was attempted to
make, but evidently overstepped slightly whilst writing up, was that I
find it grossly arrogant to say this is it, we have QKD, we can all go
home. One day I am sure someone will come up with a counter-theory
[which allows us to detect polarisation without altering it] which
doesnt fall on its face. Such is the nature of physics.
[ END QUOTE ]

--
Ian Hill
Ian at Protonic.com