Ross's TCPA paper

Matthew Byng-Maddick cryptography at lists.colondot.net
Fri Jul 5 04:14:27 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:54:11PM +0200, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
[backdoored network cards]
> I don't think so. As far as I understood, the
> bus system (PCI,...) will be encrypted as well. You'll have
> to use a NIC which is certified and can decrypt the information
> on the bus. Obviously, you won't get a certification for such
> an network card.

Surely the obvious thing is that you build a network card without
this property, and get it certified, and get the key to decrypt
the data. Then you add the backdooring technology, at which point
you have the advantage that you both have a certified "secure"
network card, and the key to decrypt data for you on the bus.

Not that I'm sure this helps, but it might.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick         <mbm at colondot.net>           http://colondot.net/