crypto/web impementation tradeoffs

John Saylor johns at worldwinner.com
Wed Jul 3 15:02:31 EDT 2002

Hi

I'm passing some data through a web client [applet-like] and am planning
on using some crypto to help ensure the data's integrity when the applet
sends it back to me after it has been processed.

The applet has the ability to encode data with several well known
symmetric ciphers.

The problem I'm having has to do with key management.

Is it better to have the key encoded in the binary, or to pass it a
plain text key as one of the parameters to the applet?

I know that the way most cryptosystems work is that the security is in
the key. But having a compiled-in key just seems like a time bomb that's
going to go off eventually. Is it better to have a variable key passed
in as data [i.e. not marked as "key"] or to have a static key that sits
there and waits to be found.

Thanks.

--
\js

'People who work sitting down get paid more than people who work standing up.'
  - Ogden Nash (1902-1971)