Fingerprints (was: Re: biometrics)

lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com lynn.wheeler at firstdata.com
Mon Jan 28 16:54:57 EST 2002

I believe NIST published something about FBI needing 40 minutia standard
for registration in their database.

On tv you see these things about lifting partial prints and then sending
them off to FBI to try and find who the partial print matches with, aka the
FBI better have rather detailed recording of whatever part of the print
that happened to be lifted.

That is significantly different than trying to repeat scans in the same
way, on nearly identical surface, from the same angle, of a "full" print
etc. and approx. match at least a minimum number of points. By comparison,
the fbi might need to have higher number of point match based on only a
very specific subarea. That would imply that the needed resolution of valid
points on the minimum acceptable sized subarea equivalent to typical
matching of a full fingerprint.

lets say that FBI wants to do acceptable minutia match on a 15 percent
finger subarea (pure conjecture on my part, i've never even read anything
about minimum resolution needed in partial print search)  ... then
presumably the (fbi's) total finger resolution (recording) might need to be
six times higher than a straight-foward comparison involving always
matching a full-finger to the same full-finger recording using essentially
the same methodology each time.

Even at that, the straight-forward fingerprint match (as opposed to the
partial print search problem)  is frequently subject to greasy & dirty
finger problems.