[linux-elitists] Re: Looking back ten years: Another Cypherpunksfailure (fwd)

Enzo Michelangeli em at who.net
Sun Jan 27 19:59:43 EST 2002

If everything is tunnelled inside SSH, its ultimate transport is TCP, which
is bad for data types like voice where reliability is less important than
low delay. The right thing to do is to build decent security into the RTP
layer (the standard transport for voice applications, RFC1889): the SRTP
draft (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-srtp-02.txt) goes
in this direction. Authentication and key exchange are supposed to be
handled in the session initiation phase (e.g., through SIP or H.323).

Alternatively, one could rely on IPSEC, but its support on the target
machine cannot (yet?) be taken for granted; the RTP stack, on the opposite,
is usually built into the application rather than the kernel.

Enzo