I-P: WHY I LOVE BIOMETRICS BY DOROTHY E. DENNING

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Wed Jan 23 14:47:57 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 09:59, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> I googled "hippus movement", and only got 3 hits

A search for 'hippus eye' (two separate words, not quoted as a phrase)
turns up a bit more. The only references for its use in biometrics were
from Iridian or the scientist who is now at Iridian who developed and
patented its use for that purpose. But there are plenty of references to
'hippus', the continual motion if the iris that keeps us from
habituating to an unchanging scene and is related to eye fatigue.
Apparently it includes contraction/expansion of the iris, which would be
hard to fake with a contact lens.

 -- sidney