password-cracking by journalists...

reusch reusch at home.com
Tue Jan 22 17:16:56 EST 2002

At 09:00 PM 1/22/02 -0500, R. Hirschfeld wrote:
>> From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:55:53 -0500
>
>> The inclusion of the word 'effectively' presumes the existance of
>> 'ineffective' technological measures, which it would be no crime
>> to circumvent. Where, then, is the distinction?
>
>17.1201 actually contains a definition:
>
>(B) a technological measure ''effectively controls access to a
>      work'' if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation,
>      requires the application of information, or a process or a
>      treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain
>      access to the work.
>
>I confess that I can't tell whether this implies that everything is
>effective or that nothing is.

Below are a few attempts to define "ineffectiveness" based on an even number
of negations inserted into the above language. While amusing, it's fruitless.
Any legislation that defines reality is schizophrenic.

Regards,

     Michael

a technological measure does not effectively control access to a
work if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation,
does not require the application of information, or a process or a
treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain
access to the work.

a technological measure does not effectively control access to a
work if the measure, in an extraordinary course of its operation,
requires the application of information, or a process or a
treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain
access to the work.

a technological measure does not effectively control access to a
work if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation,
requires the application of information, or a process or a
treatment, without the authority of the copyright owner, to gain
access to the work. (My favorite!)