password-cracking by journalists...

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Tue Jan 22 21:00:20 EST 2002

> From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:55:53 -0500

> The inclusion of the word 'effectively' presumes the existance of
> 'ineffective' technological measures, which it would be no crime
> to circumvent. Where, then, is the distinction?

17.1201 actually contains a definition:

(B) a technological measure ''effectively controls access to a
      work'' if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation,
      requires the application of information, or a process or a
      treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain
      access to the work.

I confess that I can't tell whether this implies that everything is
effective or that nothing is.

Ray