PGP & GPG compatibility

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jan 21 03:35:24 EST 2002

On 20 Jan 2002 21:46:35 -0500, Derek Atkins said:

> Question: How many users of PGP 2.x are still out there?  If people
> have upgraded to more recent versions, then it's not quite as bad.
> OTOH, I have successfully interoperated with PGP 2.6 fairly recently.

Things would get much better if a PGP 2 version with support for CAST5
would get more into use.  We can't officially support IDEA for patent
reasons in GnuPG; the next release comes with a --pgp2 option to
bundle all the options needed for pgp 2 cmpatibility and furthermore
you will get a warning if a message can't be encrypted in a PGP2
compatible way.

There is a pgp 2 version by Disastry (http://disastry.dhs.org/pgp)
which support all OpenPGP defined ciphers.

  Werner