password-cracking by journalists...

Will Rodger wrodger at pobox.com
Fri Jan 18 09:41:53 EST 2002

Arnhold writes:

>Another interesting question is whether the reporters and the Wall Street
>Journal have violated the DCMA's criminal provisions. The al Qaeda data
>was copyrighted (assuming Afghanistan signed one of the copyright
>conventions--they may not have), the encryption is arguably a
>"technological protection measure" and the breaking was done for financial
>gain.

That, I think, is an unintended consequence of the law, but I bet there's a
lawyer somewhere who'd take a crack at it. More important is the origin of
the info. itself: were it peacetime you'd have a pretty clear case of
receiving stolen property. Add to that certain trade-secret laws in various
of the 50 United States, and you could do a long time in the slammer over
this...

Will Rodger