Horseman Number 3: Osama Used 40 bits

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Thu Jan 17 16:47:12 EST 2002

Nelson Minar says:
> If this report is true, then it's evidence that the previous US crypto
> export policy works. In particular the default on Windows machines
> used to be 40 bit, you had to go through extra hoops to generate 128
> bit. If they'd used an OS with 128 bit keys, then maybe we wouldn't
> have been able to read the files?
>
> I still think export restrictions are a bad idea, but what does this
> mean?

It's real-world proof that no matter how hard they try, open-source
solutions will not catch on because all users, even terrorists, still
need to be able to read those damn Word and Visio attachments.
				- Adam

-----
Surgam, Inc. is a technology consulting firm with strong background in
delivering scalable and robust enterprise web and IT applications.
http://www.surgam.net