PGP & GPG compatibility

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 15 20:44:50 EST 2002

Will Price <wprice at cyphers.net> writes:

> The SDK (which still includes little bits of your code Derek, and all
> other crypto/network/passphrase and even all the UI code which
> interacts with the crypto related code) has been published up through
> 7.1.1. The Windows GUI was last published at 6.5.8.

Does this include the Unix CLI?  (And yes, I know a lot of my code is
in there.. I was amused when I ported 6.5.8 to Tru64.  I was also
surprised (but relieved) at the re-write of the Ascii Parser).

> > Worse, there are a couple of bugs I found in 6.5.8 when
> > I was porting it to Tru64, but who knows if anyone is
> > listening over at NAI.
>
> I don't know who you sent these to. You could always have sent diffs
> directly to me to make sure they get handled. The official address
> for these things remains peerreview at pgp.com. I am on that list so you
> couldn't have sent it to that one either since I haven't seen any
> diffs from you ever as far as I can recall.

I sent patches to pgp-bugs at pgp.com.  Is peerreview at pgp.com documented
anywhere?  The particular bug is the COMMENT handling in the binary
parser.

> Side note, this may all be a moot point if a "transition agreement
> with a purchasing vendor" is not worked out RSN.

So, um, what happens then?  If NAI cannot find a buyer, will they bury
the code?  Or will NAI donate the code to the OpenSource community?
If they cannot find a buyer will they relinguish the commercial rights
to the OpenSource version (i.e. so that commercial entities can use
the freeware)?

> -- Will
>
> Will Price, Director of Engineering
> PGP Security, Inc.