High-tech Thieves Snatch Data From ATMs

Jim Cheesman jchees at msl.es
Tue Jan 15 07:05:27 EST 2002

Something similar happened in England a few years back: Some "cybercrooks"*
set up an entire false bank - only the shop frontage and the cash machine,
which would display the customary "Sorry this service not available blah
blah blah" message if the user tried to get cash out. I believe the bank
was Nationwide, and that the scam run for at least a month before anyone
caught on.

I currently have no web access, so no links, no details - sorry.

*Why "cyber"crooks?

Best,
Jim

At 09:32 PM 10/01/02, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/abc/20020110/bs/atmfraud020110_1.html
>

>Thursday January 10 03:26 PM EST
>
>High-tech Thieves Snatch Data From ATMs
>By Paul Eng ABCNEWS.com