CFP: PKI research workshop

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Mon Jan 14 18:44:40 EST 2002

Carl Ellison <cme at jf.intel.com> writes:

> At 02:47 PM 1/14/2002 -0800, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> >>  Meanwhile, the information that the user
> >> really looks at to make a security decision (the Palm logo and the
> >> little padlock) aren't related at all.
> >No possible security system can protect people who trust
> >whatever logo happens to be transmitted to them in web pages.
>
> That is certainly true today, but that is precisely how users decide
> whether or not to give up their credit card numbers or more
> sensitive information.  It's a good thing that the user is absolved
> of liability in case the credit card is stolen.  I disagree that
> it's not possible to secure logos.  It's a MMOP (mere matter of
> programming). :)
I didn't say that it wasn't possible to secure logos. I said that
you couldn't protect people who trusted logos that were transmitted
to them in Web pages. This is not the same thing. The point is
that such logos are transmitted in-band and are part of the web
page. Therefore, they are not cryptographically verified.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr at rtfm.com]
                http://www.rtfm.com/