True Names reviewed on /.

R. A. Hettinga rahettinga at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 14 15:09:01 EST 2002

--- begin forwarded text

From: "Trei, Peter" <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>
To: "'cypherpunks at lne.com'" <cypherpunks at lne.com>
Subject: True Names reviewed on /.
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:08:57 -0500
Sender: owner-cypherpunks at lne.com

http://slashdot.org/books/01/12/27/1845203.shtml

'michael' has reviewed "True Names and The
Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier" over on
slashdot. I won't discuss the review or the book
in detail other than to say that the book should
be considered Required Reading, and the review
is also good.

michael has this to say about our Resident

"Timothy May, who is perhaps best
known for his ranting posts about crypto anarchy,
has a lengthy and astonishingly well-written essay
titled "True Nyms and Crypto Anarchy". The
essay reads as if an editor with a firm hand
extracted most of May's characteristic wild-eyed
prose and yet kept the insightful ideas behind it - if
only all of his writing was like this essay. It's a
great introduction to what May means by "crypto
anarchy". May is one of the most optimistic writers
in the book, and he, as well as the other writers,
believe that we are at a fork: either we'll move
toward a surveillance state, or toward what May
calls an anarcho-capitalist state, but the middle
ground is unstable - we'll end up at one extreme or
the other. May believes we're already firmly on
the road toward anarcho-crypto-utopia."

Peter Trei

================
This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender.
Thank You.

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA