Quote of the Day

Greg Rose ggr at qualcomm.com
Wed Jan 9 20:05:00 EST 2002

I just found the following wonderful quote in the just out draft IEEE
802.11i document that defines security for wireless networks. In particular
this is the section that describes the old WEP.

>Editor's note: the text in this section essentially duplicates the text
>from the 1999 issue of the standard, suitably renumbered and with minor
>wordsmithing to remove technically inaccurate non-normative marketing
>language ascribing useful security characteristics to WEP. Given today's
>better understanding of WEP, much of this marketing text would be
>tantamount to fraud if it were to remain in the standard.

I like it...

Greg.

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr at qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C