On ISPs Not Filtering Viruses

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Mon Jan 7 16:46:48 EST 2002

John Young, why are your web servers running virus-prone operating systems?
Haven't you installed the Linux security patches on 'em and turned
off all nonessential services?

I thought ISPs were supposed to be bit-pipes.  End-to-end unrestricted
connectivity is the basic feature of the Internet.  This feature is
what made the Internet superior to every preceding network.  If my ISP
was filtering my mail or my packets, I'd complain.  (In fact, when
they started to, I did complain until they changed it, and my web site
still complains about it.)

	John