New release of BitTorrent out

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Sat Jan 5 20:37:47 EST 2002

A new release of BitTorrent is out, along with a new page -

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

New in this release -

New file in demo, in case you already got the old one :-)

A complete rewrite of all the upload/download logic

Tit-for-tat upload preferences

TCP buffering awareness

Better install process under UNIX

And tons of other small improvements.

We did a test run of the new release yesterday, and it handled six
simultaneous downloaders without breaking a sweat, my guess is the current
version handles twenty no problem.

This release marks the confluence of two events -

a) BitTorrent getting mature enough to be used commercially

b) Bram has spent enough time unemployed and needs to find a job

If you're one of the many companies who could benefit from reduced
bandwidth costs, now would be a good time to hire me to ensure BitTorrent
reaches full maturity.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes