Hackers Targeting Home Computers

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Fri Jan 4 12:54:57 EST 2002

> WASHINGTON -- Computer hackers, once satisfied to test their skills on
> large companies, are turning their sights to home computers that are
> faster, more powerful and less secure than ever before.

On my private computer (DSL, dynamically assigned IP address), I
detect an increasing density of attack attempts. More or less serious
attempts happen every few minutes in average (depends on daytime).
Highest density is in the evening hours, when hackers and victims
find time to be online.

This means the probability of an infection of an unprotected
private computer is quite high after only some hours of internet
access. Most ("normal") people I know use such unprotected
computers for internet access.

Hadmut