Bernstein's NFS machine

Wei Dai weidai at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 28 19:01:21 EST 2002

I haven't checked all of the numbers, but I think Frog3's analysis is
largely correct. However, the two O(1)'s below should be replaced with
o(1)'s.

Very informally, think of O(1) as some constant, and o(1) as converging to
0. One possibly confusing thing about Berstein's paper is that in the
sentence "for a given cost, the number of digits of n has grown by a
factor of 3.0090581972... + o(1)", the o(1) is most likely negative for
practical key lengths.